• cdi stator issues

November 2019 Forum Retirement
Due to lack of extra personal time (and too much spam), I'm retiring the forum and setting it to a read-only state. No new registrations or posts will be accepted as of 11/09/19. However, all information will stay up and searchable. If you spend a few minutes searching, you'll find the answers you're looking for. We may re-open the forum next spring.
 #10481  by noles89
 Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:10 pm
hi everyone
I have a hammerhead gts 150
cant tell if cdi is ac or dc 3 wires going into one plug and 1 black wire going into the other.does this mean
that it is 100% that this is a dc cdi . also does this mean the stator is a dc stator

thanks
charlie
 #10483  by PGH
 Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:46 am
You need to take a meter to the single wire on the 2-pin connector to see whether it is AC or DC. Stators put out AC while a generator puts out DC - All buggies use stators. Most stators have a dedicated AC line for an AC powered CDI - if you have a DC system, this line remains unused.
 #10484  by noles89
 Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:41 pm
there are three wires that go to the plug ,a black wire with red one it is not used, the blue wire with white on it is
plugged into an othe blue whire with white on it so everything is dc?

thanks
Charlie
 #10485  by PGH
 Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:25 pm
Correct. The black/red is AC power for CDI if you needed it. The blue/white is the trigger pulse from the fly wheel that sets off the CDI which then fires up your coil.
 #10486  by noles89
 Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:53 am
TO PDH YOU HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP.I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU ONE QUESTION
WHEN I SPOKE TO BUGGY DEPOT THEY TOLD ME HAD I HAVE A DC SYSTEM SO I NEEDED A DC STATOR. DOES THE DC STATOR STILL PUT OUT AC BUT BUT IT IS CALLED DC CAUSE THE RED AND BLACK WIRE SIS NOT CONNECTED TO THE
CDI BOX

THANKS CHARLIE
 #10487  by PGH
 Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:47 pm
The stator is the same in both. You will find the rectifier used on DC CDI systems is usually heftier than the one used on AC CDI buggies since there is more draw. For example: The sole purpose of the rectifier on Yerf is for battery charging. Everything else including lights are AC powered on this buggy.