• 2018 Super Duty Front-end Kit - Updates and Development!

• Let's talk about new parts and solutions to common problems you want to see with a BDX logo. -T@BD
November 2019 Forum Retirement
Due to lack of extra personal time (and too much spam), I'm retiring the forum and setting it to a read-only state. No new registrations or posts will be accepted as of 11/09/19. However, all information will stay up and searchable. If you spend a few minutes searching, you'll find the answers you're looking for. We may re-open the forum next spring.
Let's talk about new parts and solutions to common problems you want to see with a BDX logo. -T@BD
 #11457  by CheethaSpeed
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:02 pm
Very impressive! Can’t get that on a new buggy anywhere, just what I need for those buddies that bought karts off the showroom since I started this project. :lol: why not just buy one they asked me? Don’t worry I’ll send them here when they need more power to keep up ;) :twisted:
 #11458  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:18 pm
Fink117 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:32 pm
How many days would it add to get one of your custom bulkheads instead of the stock bulkhead?

Gary
Since posting that, I heard rumor that there may be a source wanting to unload their stock of bulkheads. I'll update here when I have more info either on the stock bulkheads, or a better ETA on the BDX units.
 #11460  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:48 pm
Sportsman850 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:50 pm
Travis,
Are you using flux core wire? Also how you liking the annular bits ? I use them on my drill press. Had to get a VFD to slow the rpm down enough.
I use ER70S-6 solid wire fed to a Lincoln 255c MIG. Gas shielded. Very happy with the LE. Usually any problems are my own doing.

Moving up from hole saws, the annular cutter is incredible. It cuts silent and predictably. Finally getting this one operation right is going a long way towards keeping the A-Arms available.
 #11461  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:12 pm
CheethaSpeed wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:02 pm
Very impressive! Can’t get that on a new buggy anywhere, just what I need for those buddies that bought karts off the showroom since I started this project. :lol: why not just buy one they asked me? Don’t worry I’ll send them here when they need more power to keep up ;) :twisted:
I debated this with Stu from Blade Powersports some 12 or 13 years ago. After Yerf Dog went under, he felt that owners would want to trade up to Blades, Hammerheads, etc. Asked if I'd be interested in being the Blade evangelist to the Yerf Dog community back then, to convert Yerfers over. It probably would have been a sweet deal on commission.

As much as I love the Blade machines, I disagreed with him. I felt (as a Yerfer) that we'd prefer to upgrade bit by bit and make our own machines. Reinforce as things break, or as we can afford it. Stronger joints, arms, spindles, add reverse then power adders - all over time.

Being able to outperform the other buggies in the end is just the cherry on top ;)

I feel this is the same reason that the Spiderbox has held a steady community all these years through a lot of generations of owners. Most other 150cc models (even the new ones) get grouped together, but the Yerf still stands on it's own in a lot of ways. Yerf Dog should have paid attention, reinforced their own front ends, and stayed in the game.
 #11462  by CheethaSpeed
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:43 pm
Kit ships with a new/used bulkhead with extra steel welded already? I missed that detail and exceeds expectations. I could ship mine back to you, I won’t need it if so. :idea:

I have gone way over board all cause I hated my chain falling off my childhood kart :oops:
My first experience with a “Chinese atv” new was not good-always needed some part, was dangerous at any speed, if it got to speed. I looked at listing for karts and most all used ones needed something and couldn’t tell the difference between any new brands. They do like copying stuff over there. Plus a hammerhead 150 trailblazer and the like are smaller. I decided to fix one up but I’m now so far past what I intended starting out just not wanting a chain drive. Ultimately there is a hole in the market between cheap import buggies and high price side by sides. BDX brought me to the yerf, Made in USA and exactly what it needs to max out the potential of the yerf. Thank you sir!
 #11463  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:04 pm
Thanks Mike! I appreciate it! And yep the package comes with the reinforced bulkhead ready to go. (y)

I think a core trade in for bulkheads might be a good idea and would save a lot of headache. Store credits?

On the other hand, I've always been a little jelly of CKAU's bulkhead from years ago. I've been itching to do my take on the open look with a BDX bulkhead... shhh don't tell CK. ;)

CheethaSpeed wrote:Ultimately there is a hole in the market between cheap import buggies and high price side by sides.
You're right, y'know I hadn't thought to articulate it like that. But you just summed my value prop up pretty well in one sentence haha. People asking me what I do is always difficult to answer. Do I sell kart parts? Talking about "Mini Buggies" conjures up an impression of VW's. Nothing quite fits in one sentence. I'm going to start using your line. (y)
Attachments
2451.jpg
 #11464  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:25 pm
We got a pretty angry complaint today from a buyer on the list. If anyone is feeling a bad way, don't suffer in silence. Let me know before your patience reaches a point where you're boiling. I'm not holding anyone hostage, let me know you want to cancel and you've got it.

I understand the complaint. The view from the outside looking in is that I should just have these things on the shelf, right? That's reasonable (and easy to say), but it doesn't line up with the actual history of parts availability for the Yerf Dog across all vendors including Yerf Dog themselves. I've been posting my view on this for about the last year.

Looking back, Yerf Dog screwed up on the front end of the Spiderbox. Instead of sticking around to solve the same problems I'm dealing with here, they cut bait and (presumably) took their profits home with them instead of using that money to solve the problems they created. YD had a lot more resources than I do, and they didn't think it was worth it to reinforce their front end and save the Yerf Dog 150's. Now more recently, Steve at BMI contacted me in late 2017 and asked if we'd be open to supplying them with BDX spindles and A-Arms. BMI has more resources than us, but yet they also (apparently) don't feel it's worth it to keep producing these parts. That's it, there's no one else to even talk about. The history and trend is clear, at least from where I sit. Manufacturing these items isn't good for business, and in my opinion the writing is on the wall. I feel that the Spiderbox will die as we know it if I pull out. I (personally) don't want that to happen.

This falls on the community and we as enthusiasts to figure out. Look at this forum and think about the motivation behind what I'm doing for a second. There is more going on here than just taking your money and sending you a part. I'm an enthusiast and I think that shows in the work. I started young and pieced together the equipment over the years, bootstrapping every step as means became available. Keeping Yerf Dogs alive always has been, and always will continue to be, a group effort by enthusiasts for as long as Yerf Dogs exist.

Everyone participating in this new package deal has a direct hand in keeping these products available in 2018 and forward, and I appreciate it. I've spoken to most of you up front before creating the $445 deal so most are already in the loop on this. I feel that by providing updates here, almost everyone is feeling involved as a team in this process.

On the other hand, if you feel that what I'm saying is nonsense and that these are my problems as a business, not yours, that's fine and perfectly valid. But if I were considering the situation as purely business, I'd have already reached the conclusion that I need to dump these products and focus on more profitable projects like NanoEFI.

If you don't feel that it's appropriate that I'm asking a group of owners to shoulder some of the burden (pay up front then wait) I understand. But if you're out, you're out. No half stepping. When it comes down to it I want to work with guys who feel that they're in this fight with me. I intend to continue being transparent about what is going on in real-time, you can change your mind after any one of my updates if it's going on too long. Just let me know you want out. Nothing wrong with it, just let me know.

If you have a complaint or want to reach me directly, I'm right here in this thread. Let's talk. I'm fine hashing it out in public. I believe everyone is accountable for their words. Something I won't deal with is a person staying quiet here but then getting furious in private conversation, grilling my people for what are my decisions, not theirs. I'm available 24/7. If you have issues that go beyond the front end kit, create a new topic to address me directly like Fnonthlake123 did here. Everyone please speak your mind early if you have an issue, before things turn to anger, and let's work out whatever solution works for you.

(Also to the person I'm referring to, you were right, the reverse kits were listed as "low stock" when you ordered. My people were looking at the wrong thing. You're not crazy brother.)
 #11465  by Sportsman850
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:24 pm
I'm actually the one that called. I wasn't angry. I just had a hard time understanding the situation. I couldn't understand how you went from having parts in stock the day I ordered them, to not having them when I decided I wanted them shipped. Travis were all good. Your employees got me up to date in things. They unfortunately did bare the brunt of my frustration. For this i apologize to them and you. Everything is taken care of, they were professional and polite. I on the other hand was not. Again I apologize.

I read in the forum about bulkhead exchange. I think it should be done. Include a pre-paid return shipping label and have it sent back. I'll be happy to do that.
 #11470  by CheethaSpeed
 Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 am
First time I’ve seen that creature, looks angry and mean in all the right ways. Cut away looks great, I think the look on your crossfire project X brace style would be more ridged. I’d hate to miss out on your own BDX bulkhead. But I can see a core making the most sense. I will send mine back, just let me know. I’m planning front brakes and fenders and love the idea of discounts, but in reality I’m already way ahead cause I expected to have to weld the plates. Plus agree cores will be hit or miss. New old stock at the right price makes sense, even what they retail them for I would think labor alone would eat that up.