• Best Bang for your buck GY6 upgrade path

• Can you tell good performance advice (from snake oil advertising) when you see it? There are many GY6 performance myths invented by sellers, meant to part you from your hard earned money. It may sound good, but is it tested?

Ask your engine upgrade questions here. We'll provide tested answers.

We're building our own GY6 DYNO (dynamometer) with full CNC control! Subscribe to the dyno build thread to stay updated!
Can you tell good performance advice (from snake oil advertising) when you see it? There are many GY6 performance myths invented by sellers, meant to part you from your hard earned money. It may sound good, but is it tested?

Ask your engine upgrade questions here. We'll provide tested answers.

We're building our own GY6 DYNO (dynamometer) with full CNC control! Subscribe to the dyno build thread to stay updated!
 #10684  by dinobball23
 Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:50 am
Hi,

I have recently bought a 2 seater 150cc little buggy, and am wondering what the best upgrades are for my money. Best bang for the buck. And with each upgrade what i can expect for a difference. thanks

ADMIN EDIT: I'm making this a sticky, and changing the title to better describe the topic.
Last edited by Travis @ Buggy Depot on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #10685  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:06 pm
The direction I usually recommend for buggies (scooters and ATV's as well) involves improving torque, acceleration, and responsiveness first (being careful not to reduce top speed), and going for power adders later. I'll explain:

There are generally two sides to GY6 performance improvements:
1. Power adders (Engine mods) increase the power at the crankshaft, which is generally expensive and harder to install.
2. Power optimizers (CVT mods) allow us to take advantage of the engine's power better, and are very effective at getting the machine physically moving quicker even if actual power at the crankshaft isn't changed. These mods are usually very affordable.

Best first GY6 "bang for your buck" upgrades

1. Uni Filter High Flow Intake Kit
The UNI Filter and Intake gets the top spot, because it is the single best upgrade to make sure that your engine lasts as long as possible. The performance benefits stand on their own, but when you see the damage caused by inadequate filters, the first upgrade choice is clear.

You can get the UNI Filter Kit by itself, or as part of our STAGE 1 Engine Upgrade Package with more easy starter power adders.

2. Roller Weights
Roller weights go a very long way to increasing usable power. 10g is the best overall size and what I most commonly recommend. Allows for substantially better acceleration and climbing power. 12g is best for flat terrain (track, etc). 9g or 8g are good for times when you're going to tackle very hilly or technical terrain. They aren't heavy enough to fully expand the variator, so top speed will be reduced. They'll help you climb like a goat though.

It's a good idea to keep different sizes on hand. Rollers are easy to change out in about 20 minutes. So you can quickly swap in the set that is best for the type of riding you'll be doing at the next riding spot. I've found that "tuning" the CVT like this keeps things interesting. And keeps my buddies wondering how I'm able to beat them at each different place (and terrain) that we ride.

3. CVT Power Spring
This is the giant spring behind the clutch. I almost always recommend the 1500rpm version (yellow). Take a look at my full article on How the CVT works to get a really good visual explanation on how the rollers and the spring work together. BTW: Don't get the 2000rpm spring, unless you never plan do go above 25mph. Also, don't confuse this with the 3 springs in the clutch (see below).

Get the rollers and power spring together in our STAGE 1 Drivetrain Upgrade Package.

I recommend doing these three all at once. You'll notice the difference immediately on the first ride after installation.

Let me know if you want to know more
If you (or anyone reading) want to know more, come back and reply in this thread and I'll follow up with the next level of upgrades and the reasoning behind them.

What NOT to spend money on at first:

Clutch engagement springs: I've found that it's best to leave them alone unless you have a specific reason to alter your engagement RPM. Sure, you'll get a boost out of the gate when going wide open. But personally for me, it's irritating constantly engaging and disengaging while riding normally at low speeds. Generally I'm happy with stock engagement.

Big Carburetor (28mm or greater): This falls into the "Internet Bullsh*t" category. Too many keyboard racers will try to tell you to install a big carb right away. Don't do that. You'll just lose low-end power with very limited high-rpm gains. It is very true that a big carburetor will really wake up a BIG BORE engine. But not a stock engine. Stick with the stock 24mm.

The only exception is the 26mm Mikuni VM26-606, which is in my opinion is a very good (but not cost effective) upgrade even for an otherwise stock engine.
 #10686  by dinobball23
 Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:42 pm
Thanks for leading me in the right direction and explaining what each upgrade is going to do. And especially at the end on the things not to do. I would like to def know more , and what's next on the list. I would think a cam and exhaust system will be on the way but I'll let you say what's next
 #12938  by jhawk19
 Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:56 pm
I just purchased a DF Monster 2x4 (see photo). It has the 169.4cc 4 Stroke Air Cooled Modified GY6 Honda Cloned Engine.

I'd like to make mods as I'm building it and I'd like to know what I need. I assume best mods will be air intake, carb and exhaust.

:?: Are the parts shown in this thread the best ones for the GY6 that I have? :?:
Attachments
ca056692885ecba7d8d0ef99a75f1889.jpg
ca056692885ecba7d8d0ef99a75f1889.jpg (171.42 KiB) Viewed 1079 times