• Questions about NanoEFI for the GY6 (Electronic Fuel Injection)

• Let's talk about new parts and solutions to common problems you want to see with a BDX logo. -T@BD
November 2019 Forum Retirement
Due to lack of extra personal time (and too much spam), I'm retiring the forum and setting it to a read-only state. No new registrations or posts will be accepted as of 11/09/19. However, all information will stay up and searchable. If you spend a few minutes searching, you'll find the answers you're looking for. We may re-open the forum next spring.
Let's talk about new parts and solutions to common problems you want to see with a BDX logo. -T@BD
 #11921  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:52 am
Sportsman850 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:07 am
Travis,

I want efi......how much buddy!
Df200gka wrote:So I was just wondering, just how much is this EFI system going to cost and are you guys looking at a release date anytime soon?

I haven't officially announced the target price. However, with the way development is going, you'll be able to buy three (3x) full NanoEFI kits for the price of one Ecotrons kit.

That's three times the fun. (y) (y) (y)
 #11923  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:23 am
Sportsman850 wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:05 am
Them kits cost what $800ish? Am I right? You're talking the ones on the web for the engines upto 300cc?

Their "Small Engine Fuel Injection Kit – 35cc to 300cc"

... and I mean 3x less than their cheapest package (28mm) on the page. Which ain't cheap :shock:
 #11925  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:02 am
If you were looking at the $799 package, you can get x4 NanoEFI kits for the same price. ;)

NanoEFI is universal for single cylinder engines, and will eventually be universal for 2-cylinder engines with limited support for 3-cyl.

The first model that will have full support and a bolt-on kit, is the GY6.

Since there are 1000's of single cylinder vehicles and only one of me, my dealer structure encourages 3rd-party development for additional engines and vehicle models. I've got more info on that about half way down the page https://www.nanoefi.com

Under the heading: "Will I be able to get wholesale pricing, or base a product off of NanoEFI?"
 #11926  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:17 am
Sportsman850 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:44 am
Is the o2 gonna be to big for the pipe? Last thing ya want is to reduce flow...

The fact that exhaust diameters are so small on the GY6 (and many other small engines) is one of the reasons I decided to go with an open-loop sensing/fueling strategy for NanoEFI.

Meaning that there is no O2 sensor in the core kit. And there doesn't need to be.

Warning, oversimplification inbound: There is a common misconception that the O2 sensor "dictates" how much fuel to inject, that's largely untrue. On many automotive systems (most likely the system in your own car, regardless of brand), the O2 sensor is only really used to maximize fuel efficiency (gas mileage, and lowering emissions) while you're cruising around at partial throttle. When you go wide open throttle (or tune for performance), many EFI systems ignore the O2 sensor and it may as well not be there.

NEFI will have support for closed-loop operation with O2 feedback, but as a separate add-on package. So if emissions, gas mileage, and self-tuning are important for a person's goals, I've got you covered there with optional wideband support.

Sensors in the core kit include: TPS, MAP, IAT, and FPX (fuel Pressure). I use the trigger signal to determine RPM and timing events.

Typing all of this out is getting me pumped to get back to work on NEFI. I've got to wrap things up in the shop and get the Super Duty kit production handed over to my guys.
 #11927  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:57 am
myvt365 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:42 am
So here is my next question like I said I just love talking about this stuff and its highly interesting. How is the injector controlled when to spray? Every fuel injection system ive messed with used an on off trigger on the injector itself or has been rocker driven this is def a new design to me and im super excited to see it in action.

Here's my article covering the basics of how my injection timing works on NEFI and my initial tests way back in 2015. I'm sure it's not an original way to handle timing, it's probably the most obvious way to do it on an 8-bit AVR micro. It's simple, fast, and accurate.

NanoEFI - Proof of Concept: Tests successful!

myvt365 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:42 am
As far as faults is this a separate CAN network with a dash for what the fault is almost like OBD2?
I don't intend to incorporate CAN until support for newer more technologically complex vehicles starts making it a requirement. Interfacing with ABS modules, OEM gauages, etc. As far as diagnostics, with Wi-Fi wireless capability directly on the ECU, anyt wired troubleshooting tool becomes obsolete. Even burning firmware updates will be wireless by internet, "over the air" with no physical connection.

A physical dash that uses the wireless connection is something I've considered. But the fact is, if I take that on myself it will be years before I can finish it (look at how long it's taken to get through with A-Arm's recently, and I've been making those for years).

I believe cool add-ons like this would be best developed as community projects. NanoEFI draws a lot of guys from the maker crowd, since development for the first couple of years was on the Arduino platform. Though I want to protect my core code, I plan to encourage modifying the system through an open API for added fun and customization.
 #11931  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:29 pm
CheethaSpeed wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:43 pm
let me know when cash and limited skill is all I’m lacking for efi and I’m in.

Will do. Since I'm just one guy, it's critical that we're able to build a healthy community around development for different models. I get a lot of emails over on NanoEFI.com from guys requesting to be able help with development. I'm turning people down almost every day, as I want to develop the core myself. After release, it won't be long before guys with v-twins and too much spare time start to develop for their machines.
CheethaSpeed wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:43 pm
Sounds like my universal front hubs idea are not as exciting, but I bet you could be selling them a lot quicker. -I had to try....I still got no front brakes.

It's on the list. That's more than I can say for 99% of suggestions (y) I've been learning Fusion 360 (3D CAD) lately during "break" time from the shop. I'm interested to see what the universal hub will look like modeled up. Give me a little bit longer to start a thread so we can get the ball rolling.