• Have I crossed the line? Support theft and Facebook drama.

• Have a controversial viewpoint related to the sport? Turn up your BS meter, raise your red flag, and hash out your buggy gripes and pet peeves here! Keep it reasonably civil, and present your case!
Have a controversial viewpoint related to the sport? Turn up your BS meter, raise your red flag, and hash out your buggy gripes and pet peeves here! Keep it reasonably civil, and present your case!
 #12989  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:34 am
At BD, we're in survival mode until things hopefully pick up in Spring. It's not just us. The entire Buggy sport is hurting. Amazon and eBay are after pure profits, and are crushing all of us enthusiast-based businesses who actually care about Buggies and who care about you.

You don't have to take my word for it, here's what Tom from KidNMe has to say about the state things from where he stands. The same goes for several other long-standing names of providers in the market who are in the same situation, but haven't spoken publicly. This sport is sinking, and needs a shift in direction right now.

Back here at BD, I also wrote a post explaining to my paying customers why our support is suffering. Why we're not getting some orders out on time, or able to reliably pick up the phone. I don't like talking indirectly, so I decided to give a real reason:

Here's the full article for context.

I've always refused to charge for our technical support, and I rely on the honor system to stay in business.

Charles' comment accurately describes one of the biggest ways that we're bleeding... people using our support to buy elsewhere. I spent 6 months between 6pm and 3am, almost every night, to build the verification system. I put in 11,000 verifications by hand, after measuring and identifying each part for each model. That's a lot of time away from my family, with the understanding with my Wife that it would help support them. After doing the right thing putting in the sweat and the hours to make real support and information available to all, my people and I should NOT be punished by seeing Buggy Depot's site used as a Buyer's Guide for eBay and Amazon. Padding corporate executive's pockets while I'm struggling to pay people to pick up the phone.

What Charles described is support theft that takes food directly off my table, and I'm not willing to put this into kinder terms to spare his feelings. I don't want this getting all twisted up. I'm not calling Charles a thief. But he knew what he was doing, and he knew what he was saying.

Now, I imagine Charles didn't like this because he put me on blast late last night. Not here on BD where he read my post, and not to me directly. Straight to Facebook. Now to be clear: I wasn't looking to make a point of Charles himself or cause him any damage, which is why I blurred out his picture and name in my original post to protect his anonymity and identity.

Charles, you didn't offer me the same courtesy. Rather than contacting me directly, you went straight for where you thought it would do me some damage:

Charles, you're free to come and address me here directly. Hashing out disagreements and reaching a resolution is what this section of the forum is meant for. A lot of people gripe and complain, but it's not often a person is willing to actually have a conversation that helps fix the root problem. In either case, if you've got a bone to pick with something I've said, this is the appropriate place to do it. You're free to speak your mind, there are no filters or censors here.
Attachments
ckt_resp.jpg
KNM1.jpg
CKT5.jpg
CKT4.jpg
CKT4.jpg (98.28 KiB) Viewed 132 times
 #12991  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:34 pm
In addition to Charles, I've also invited the owner of RCH Motorsports here. It appears she agrees with Charles, so it would be good if she chooses to advocate for him.

My intention is to work towards an open agreement with anyone and everyone regarding what "support" should mean going forward in this unsupported Chinese market. I feel like I've been pulling a disproportionate amount of the technical burden for too many years now, and if other vendors want to step up into a more impactful role we can talk about that.

It's left up to the community itself to define what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior. Let's talk about where things are heading for all of us if we don't change direction a bit.

Attachments
RCH.jpg