• GROUP BUY... Yerf Dog Steering Rack +8 Teeth Machining Service - Once per year!

• New updates to our store, forum, and products are posted here -T@BD
New updates to our store, forum, and products are posted here -T@BD
 #13292  by Chris486
 Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:36 pm
Thank you Travis for the hard work, all is appreciated cant wait to try it out once its ready.
Travis @ Buggy Depot wrote:Saturday, Sunday and Monday are rack days! Thanks everyone for being patient while I sort things out here. Last night I left an early Easter egg in your accounts... a $50 store credit for everyone participating in the group buy. Let me know what items you're interested in and I'll do stock checks for you. I really appreciate you all working with me on the time frame. (y)

I'll be machining and shipping in the order that payment was received. But if anyone has an event or special occasion planned please let me know and we'll work it out. Thanks again guys!

Also, many have asked about rack boots. Unfortunately I'm out of stock. I have a whole box of short-size boots, but no long sides. Looking at the one full / one empty bins gives me that feeling when you can't find a matching sock in the drawer. :?
Elm2052193 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:49 am
I just picked up a tomberlin 150 is the rack the same and can have the same machine work done ?
Unfortunately it's not the same , sorry
 #13293  by Bubba_Zanettie
 Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:12 pm
Thanks for the update Travis.
I know I was one of the first to pay and send rack, but if you have anyone that needs theirs faster.
You can bump me back. Honestly when it arrives I have no choice but to get back to work on the buggy.
And I have so much other stuff goin it would make my shop trip room only :?
 #13297  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:11 pm
Figured you guys would like a picture update. Got all of the prep work done Saturday. Ran into a major snag yesterday, but un-snagged it. Details below!

Pre-processed and tagged the racks Saturday. Everyone looks good.

You'll see my machining setup below. I do racks on an original Bridgeport Vertical Milling machine, we have two with 2HP 2J variable speed heads. They're great machines. About 2600lbs each of ancient technology, completely manual with no digital anything. Tried a small DRO once and decided I'll keep using the dials until I'm ready for a real Digital readout system.

Both Bridgeports were made in 1950 according to their serial numbers. One was treated pretty rough before I bought it, with about 10% life left on it. The other has seen far less use, with probably 75% of its lifespan still ahead of it. Guys that can run these professionally are (literally) a dying breed, and get a ton of respect from me. Although I plan to eventually get a CNC mill, I'm going to keep these, and keep them maintained. These two machines will easily outlive me, and are something I hope to pass down to my boy when the time comes. Along with the knowledge to use them. Never know when you'll need it.

I've always used the worn mill for the racks out of convenience, so I wouldn't have to change around the setup a lot. It's 70 year old with shot head bearings and still cuts extremely accurate for anything meant to go on a Yerf Dog. With that said though, I've known since I got the machine that I need to rebuild the head sooner or later. It runs great, but you can hear the old worn bearings are on their last breath.

Well!!!! After starting on the first cut yesterday, I heard a new noise from the head and decided that later is "now", and that I don't want to use it anymore until I do the rebuild. Just don't want to risk damage. This meant several hours transferring everything over to the "newer" mill, indicating it all properly and setting it straight. Plus wiping down and re-oiling the newer mill as well.

Using the indicator to line up the vise.

Using the dial indicator again on the rack. I cut the extended flat at this step. Using the indicator is critical to getting perfectly flat and true cut. (There is no such thing as perfect, but you know what I mean). It measures down to the thousandth of an inch. Properly indicating and adjusting the part in the vise/fixtures is one of the most time consuming parts of machining each rack, but is the most important step to making sure your extra teeth work and last without binding.

Alright now let's complete that cut...

Notice the area pointed to in red, this is a particular point of pride for me. That what I'm going for and why I spend so much time making sure it's properly indicated... there is practically zero angle and the height difference between the new cut and the existing shoulder right next to it is literally the thickness of the layer of grease.

Before, I always used to reposition the rack in the vise and indicate it again to cut the flat on the other side. TIME CONSUMING! This time I tried something new. Planned ahead when positioning the first time, and so that I'd be able to do the second cut without repositioning or indicating a second time. I was concerned about lack of rigidity/support and also about how far off "true" the second surface might be since it's 3" away from the zero'd surface, but neither turned out to an issue.

There was slight amount of twist in the rack (either in the steel from use, or from my positioning), you can see it in the second cut. The amount of twist was minimal. Just about the thickness of the grease layer. Much less than the thickness of a fingernail. Well within tolerance. I'm super excited to be able to skip that step from now on.

Zeroing the tailstock now... this just gives us a 90 degree vertical surface to mount our rack.

And finally what all this entire process is about.... cutting teeth! This is a true gear cutter, mounted on a custom arbor + R8 collet setup I machined in 2014 or so specifically for cutting Yerf Dog racks. Lots of trial and error and $$$ to figure this one out.

See that witness mark highlighted in red? That means success! It's not a tool mark, it's a line of grease from the pinion gear inside of the rack. If I see that line, I know that the rack travels fully on the new teeth.

I'll be continuing to machine racks the rest of the week in the evenings. I'm doing all of our shipping and customer service now myself, so balancing everything is key. I'll post smaller updates as racks ship out. Thanks guys!
Attachments
IMG_8880.jpg
file21.jpg
file1.jpg
IMG_8922.jpg
IMG_8922.jpg
IMG_8918.jpg
IMG_8913.jpg
IMG_8901.jpg
IMG_8894.jpg
IMG_8892.jpg
IMG_8884.jpg
IMG_8878.jpg
IMG_8869.jpg
 #13318  by Bubba_Zanettie
 Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:42 am
That's SO funny. after reading it all I went looking for a Like Btn.
Nice to see My rack was not the rustiest Lol.
Travis, I spent 18 years on the exact same 2hp Bridgeport mill.
We added a 3x DRO. made life so much easier. And they are super cheap on ebay now days

Thanks for the update, You made my day.