• GROUP BUY, 5 LEFT, GOING FAST: Yerf Dog +8 Steering Machining Service - Once per year, get it NOW

• New updates to our store, forum, and products are posted here -T@BD
New updates to our store, forum, and products are posted here -T@BD
 #12946  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:47 am
Signed up:
  • Justin B
  • Justin M
  • Jason S
  • Ted B
  • Michael B
  • (5 LEFT)

Yerf Dog +8 Steering Machining Service Group Buy
It's not a secret that I really don't like machining rack and pinions. It's an awesome modification, but is pain to do right. The process is slow with tight tolerances, and the rack has to be re-positioned and re-indexed 4 times each during the process. It's usually not worth the hassle to even consider doing. However, I'm constantly getting requests for the service. And we could use a boost in cash right now to help get things back on track after s#it September following Florence. Yeah, we're still dealing with that and things will likely continue to stay tight until Spring.

So get yours now, or wait another year.

Last year, I got 10 guys together for this service. Getting everyone to send theirs in was smooth enough, but I just about ripped my hair out in frustration putting up with the old fixture and tooling. If I'm going to do this again, I'm going to make a new fixture that can cut 5 at one time. I can only start working on the fixture after I've been paid. So we're going to do this differently this time. Instead of having you send in your rack first, I will ask you to pay first. Once all 10 are paid, I will start CAD'ing and building the new fixture. Updates will be posted here, and you'll be included in the entire process from start to finish (just like our Super Duty Front End from earlier this year).

When the new tooling is ready, I'll ask everyone to send theirs in at the same time. This way, you won't see downtime riding while we wait for others to get to the Post Office.

The time I'll need to build the fixture after you've paid is approximately 2 - 3 weeks. Delays are a high possibility with this custom stuff, especially since it involves a good amount of R&D on the fixture. I want to clarify that what you're risking is a delay on your money, not on riding. You keep your rack on your machine until I'm done with the new tooling. I know it's a lot to ask to pay and wait, but these kinds of super niche projects are dependent on community support. I'll take on the technical burden, if you (and others) will contribute to financially making it happen.

The one thing that makes all of this even possible is that I'm able to 3D model now and can build the fixture on the computer without having to spend weeks physically in the shop building 15 versions of the setup to get it right. When we get 10 people, I'll send the buy link to everyone and we'll get started. Then development and updates will be posted here.

The cash from this group buy will go to the R&D of the fixture, and to getting other orders out the door. I doubt I'll be able to pocket any of the funds myself.

Yerf Dog GX150 Rack Machining Service [GROUP BUY ONLY]
https://www.buggydepot.com/product/689/ ... -only.html

Price is $99.50 with $10 shipping. At this price you can qualify for financing through PayPal credit and pay across 6 months at 0% interest. Check out the financing banner for more details.

To answer the common questions:

1. Because there's always that one guy right away: No, you can't get a local machine shop to do it cheaper. (Go check if you want.) If they say they can do it, you're going to get a grinder job not worth the cut-off disc it was botched with. No shop is going to invest in the tooling needed to do this niche job for a one off. Also, they won't "happen" to have the right tools. It took me a lot of effort to work out everything to do these right. You might be able to get the same thing elsewhere for $500 or so.

2. +8 teeth isn't too many for the Yerf Dog. It's how it should have been made from the factory. There are no downsides or other hassles from doing this modification. Just tight steering.

3. You can run up to 21" front tires after this upgrade without need for wheel spacers.

This group buy is in response to this post:
JMill wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:43 pm
Travis, I know from the forum the steering rack upgrade (extra 8 teeth) is not your favorite thing to do and it says it's unavailable online. What's the chance of getting that going again? ... I know it sounds like a pain but this thing needs to turn tighter and you seem to be the only one on the planet to do this stuff! Thanks
Attachments
product_image_261_716.jpg
IMG_1530.jpg
IMG_1456.jpg
IMG_1616.jpg
IMG_12472.jpg
IMG_3519.jpg
IMG_3500.jpg
 #12956  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:28 am
Update: We're up to 3 on the list.

If you've been wanting your racks machined and have been waiting for me to offer the service, now is the time to go for it. I doubt I'll be doing this again anytime soon.

Also, to clarify, I can't accept store credits on this deal.