• [Updated] 1-Star Review from Bobby Stephens (from BBB) [Updated to 4-star 5/9/18]

  • Have a great experience? Let us and others know · 4-Stars
November 2019 Forum Retirement
Due to lack of extra personal time (and too much spam), I'm retiring the forum and setting it to a read-only state. No new registrations or posts will be accepted as of 11/09/19. However, all information will stay up and searchable. If you spend a few minutes searching, you'll find the answers you're looking for. We may re-open the forum next spring.
Have a great experience? Let us and others know · 4-Stars
 #11433  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:23 am
I gave up a disproportionate amount of time to your review last week just to get to where we are now. You and I are getting results on this issue now, but we spent hours of time spinning wheels in this conversation and getting nowhere at first. That time came at the expense of everyone waiting on their kits in the A-Arm thread right now. I can't expect them to continue reading this and seeing the time I've been putting into our conversation here while at the same time they're waiting for their own parts. Every one of them has the right to be upset with me for spending so much time with a guy that's already given me his 1-star review, when any one of them can do the same if they decide to. They've got the right to be kicking me in the butt right now, but they're showing a huge amount of grace and I have to respect that.

My counter offer is that we go with our standard warranty on engines. I don't have 175cc engines sitting on the shelf. There are two options I usually offer:

Option 1. We'll setup a return to get the engine back, figure out what the deal is with the seemingly undersized piston. Rebuild it, test again, and ship it back to you. If it's true that a 61mm piston ended up in your engine, I'll liquidate all of our 61mm piston inventory on eBay for $10 for the whole boxed lot. There will be no chance of a repeat situation on our end. And somebody will be a happy buyer.

Option 2. I'll provide new 62mm cylinder, piston, rings, and gaskets, and I will provide instructions for the important parts of installation. I'll (immediately) add a $100 store credit to your account on top of the already issued $30. The intent with this offering this option is that you get the money instead of Fedex.
 #11435  by Bobby
 Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:52 am
I don't want to take up anymore time on this either. I'll accept offer #2 WITH THE CONDITION THAT THEY SHIP IMMEDIATELY. My time has been wrapped up in this as well. I am however, extremely amazed that you are left questioning whether I received a 61mm top end. I have shown you and everyone else proof and have backed my proof. I would like to get these parts back to you so that you can see for yourself. Please include a return shipment label so that I can get these parts back to you.
Thank you for your time,
Bobby Stephens
 #11437  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:30 pm
Bobby wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:52 am
I am however, extremely amazed that you are left questioning whether I received a 61mm top end. I have shown you and everyone else proof and have backed my proof.

I don't stock 61mm cylinders, and never have. I'm not discounting your statement, I'm looking to confirm it. I am going to confirm for myself and address it internally if your measurements turn out correct.

I believe that a person determined to find something usually finds exactly what they're looking for one way or another. You've been distrustful of me (and from my perspective extraordinarily stubborn) for months, expecting me to immediately trust your measurements in the blind isn't going to happen. Without speaking to your intentions, it is perfectly reasonable for me to assume that your measurements are inaccurate. If you're right, you're right. But I'm going to see for myself in order to take action responsibly.

If it's true, I'm going to dump all of our 61mm piston inventory. I have no 61mm cylinders to dump, and never have.

I'm also going to make sure there is also no possibility using 61mm or 63mm big bore kits if the supplier ever sends the wrong size by mistake. I will make a go/no-go gauge for my builders to be able to quickly confirm the bore size of every cylinder going into an engine. If the gauge doesn't fit, the build stops and a red flag gets raised immediately.

I definitely need the cylinder and piston back. We'll send a return label with the parts. I'm not sending anything until you tell me what else you're missing from the orders. I've asked three times.