• Jason's 420cc Spiderbox Build

• Show off your builds and upgrades here!
Show off your builds and upgrades here!
 #13201  by Brandjayfab
 Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Haven't gotten that far quite yet.

All I've done is place it like in the photos above to see how it'll fit. Still deciding if I'm going to weld up an aluminum mount, or do the easier steel angle.

Either way it goes I'll have to cut back into my newly finished swingarm to retrofit this in, since I designed the setup for a jackshaft... ew

Hoping to make some progress this coming weekend.
 #13213  by Brandjayfab
 Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:52 pm

So I've come up with a little bracket to hold the reverse. I don't love the design but I'm not trying to change the swing arm any more than I have to since I just got it finished. It looks like I'll just have to cut away the bracket in front of the lower sprocket so the chain can reach the axle.

Gotta do some finishing touches, and am waiting for the AGL (ATV Gear Lubricant) to show up. My boy welded it up good.

Planning to just drill holes in the plate so it can re-use the slots for jackshaft chain tensioning.

#13404  by Brandjayfab
 Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:35 pm
Honestly, probably not all that many.

The front end from Buggy Depot went together super quick and easy. Probably 4-5 hours with the front end re enforcement.

Rear Swingarm Fab/Engine install probably about 24 hours.

Lights and wiring maybe 5.

Reverse setup probably 10 and counting.

Obviously ridiculous amounts of time have gone into reading, learning, finding parts, spec'ing everything out, etc.

Compared to full size cars this thing has been a pleasure to relax and tinker with!
Last edited by Brandjayfab on Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #13405  by Brandjayfab
 Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:50 pm
Little bit of progress made. With a 5 month old it gets more challenging to find time for my toys. Already looking into modifying power wheels for her.

Got the reverse box mounted into the bracket, and match drilled holes to match the slots for the jackshaft.

Got one of the chains attached and adjusted, but ran out of master links... so it's down until some that I ordered show up. I was able to hook up and adjust the shifter cables.

And made a quick bracket to support the shifter. As soon as the master links show up I'll be able to test it out and see whether or not this 8ftlb reverse box can handle a 22ftlb engine....

#13410  by Brandjayfab
 Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:42 pm
Just got done beating this thing up through the woods! Could not be more pleased! Reverse is an absolute GAME CHANGER!

Everything works perfectly so far and I didn't even turn the reverse box into soup!

HERES THE YOUTUBE VIDEO!
https://youtu.be/GFnf0DTN47g

https://youtu.be/yz7EEj8rAuc

Also did a little hardware upgrade on the accelerator/brake linkage! Way better feel/travel than the original setup with no rod bending!