• Roketa GK-06 CBR 600F4i

• Show off your builds and upgrades here!
Show off your builds and upgrades here!
 #12804  by Fink117
 Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:42 am
Goal is to keep it a trail buggy and be able to melt some tires in the process. I'm looking at different options for the FNR box They are hard to find parts for that's for sure.
I need to list

:buy a Pipe Bender for building a stronger cage
:start designing and laying out where the engines going to sit.
:decide on if I'm using the bike fuel tank or making my own. (because of EFI)
:have the FNR drive gear built.
:Ignore electrical for as long as humanly possible.
:Strip it paint it reassemble.

Other possible options for a transmission are a 80's honda civic transmission with CV shafts. Going solid rear would be easy but I really want to keep IRS. Show below is a Civic transmission. You leave the transmission in 4th and shift the CBR engine. It also gives you the ability to change Gear ratios on the fly from rock crawling to Bonneville land speed records
junior 001 [640x480].jpg
 #12871  by Fink117
 Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:47 pm
Travis do you have any suggestions for Gearboxes that would let me keep CV shafts and the FNR functionality of the current gearbox but a little stronger or easier to find parts for? I'm still tempted to try and find a polaris 400-500 and use the drive train out of it for the swap. the transmission is turning out to be a royal PITA.
 #12878  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:12 am
Fink117 wrote:Travis do you have any suggestions for Gearboxes that would let me keep CV shafts and the FNR functionality of the current gearbox but a little stronger or easier to find parts for?
I like the Civic transmission idea. Other than that, most of what comes to mind would involve a multiple weekends in the machine shop and a lot of research on gearcutting maths. And a lot of swearing.

I would most likely just leave it forward-only and ride in the open.
Fink117 wrote:I'm still tempted to try and find a polaris 400-500 and use the drive train out of it for the swap. the transmission is turning out to be a royal PITA.
Would you be interested in bartering a good sized load of parts for the CBR setup? I think my wife will smack me if I take on another project. But, that'll only sting for a minute. And I'll have time eventually to catch up on my builds.
 #12879  by Fink117
 Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:59 pm
Travis @ Buggy Depot wrote:
Fink117 wrote:I'm still tempted to try and find a polaris 400-500 and use the drive train out of it for the swap. the transmission is turning out to be a royal PITA.
Would you be interested in bartering a good sized load of parts for the CBR setup? I think my wife will smack me if I take on another project. But, that'll only sting for a minute. And I'll have time eventually to catch up on my builds.
I'm pretty dead set on doing the Roketa build. I'm chomping on the bit to get it started. I currently have feelers out for a trade deal on on one of my spiderbox's plus the CBR 600 engine for a Polaris Sportsman 400-500 either engine transmission and IRS or one thats been beat up and i can restore and just weld into the back of the roketa like this one
Screenshot 2018-10-08 12.36.26.png
Screenshot 2018-10-08 12.36.15.png
for curiosity sake what did you have in mind for a trade? The GK-06 is staying, I don't care if i have to downsize to a predator 670cc with monster truck exhaust. But the CBR has all the computer/wiring/gauge cluster
 #12889  by Fink117
 Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:43 pm
this is an L3 honda transmission used as the FNR. You put the bike transmission in first gear and then shift the honda transmission like a normal car.
honda transmission.jpg
honda transmission2.jpg
honda transmission3.jpg
junior 006 [640x480].jpg
Attachments
honda transmission.jpg
 #12895  by Fink117
 Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:37 am
Ok, So games back on. Did some reading and I'm going with the Civic transmission. Found one and I'm going to pick it up tonight. This is what the new rear end will look like. I'm going to need some Monster shocks for the travel distance.
Screenshot 2018-10-08 23.53.25.png

Bonus to doing this is I'll have 30 forward gearing options and 6 reverse gearing options. Need to buy a pipe bender.
 #12903  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:52 pm
Fink117 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:59 pm
for curiosity sake what did you have in mind for a trade? The GK-06 is staying, I don't care if i have to downsize to a predator 670cc with monster truck exhaust. But the CBR has all the computer/wiring/gauge cluster
Just the CBR stuff. I was thinking of a trade in exchange for a long-travel Ninja front-end, plus a Crossfire 150R frame. But after thinking about it, I'd rather eventually have two 600 buggy builds here than just one. I enjoy watching progress in any case, especially while I'm not able to work on mine.

I'm interested in seeing more on the integration of the Civic transmission. Do you have a source for a coupler for the input shaft of the trans?
 #12904  by Fink117
 Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:33 pm
Hey Travis do you have any rough designs of what an irs rear should be set out as dimension wise? I'm going for designs that look like this for basics.
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
 #12905  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:10 pm
I have the Ninja front end almost fully worked out and even modeled, but haven't started designing the rear suspension yet. Just a set of loose ideas. I'll post an update this evening (y)

Here's a teaser:

Attachments
CAD Front-end14.jpg
CAD Front-end18.jpg