• * * * Highly Modified Tomberlin Punisher * * *

November 2019 Forum Retirement
Due to lack of extra personal time (and too much spam), I'm retiring the forum and setting it to a read-only state. No new registrations or posts will be accepted as of 11/09/19. However, all information will stay up and searchable. If you spend a few minutes searching, you'll find the answers you're looking for. We may re-open the forum next spring.
 #1805  by tanzi411
 Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:24 pm
This is my 2005 Tomberlin Punisher. I have only had it for a few months but i have already done a ton of work to it. I did the popular engine mods already and started to cut back on the weight. The stock tomberlin seats were about 26-27lbs each! I quickly took those off and replaced them with the stock yerf dog bucket seats w/ some seat covers. I also took off that heavy exhaust and replaced it with a straight pipe, saved another 10lbs. And i also removed the reverse system saving another 5-7lbs. I never used the reverse and i just didnt want the extra wear and tare. I am selling the reverse kit that i took off on ebay, item # 130085132310

So far i have....

1. UNI foam air filter
2. performance ignition coil
3. performance carb jet
4. performance CDI
5. Lawn tractor battery
6. (4) 130watt lights
7. straight pipe exhaust
8. yerf dog seats w/ covers (much lighter than stock tomberlin seats)
9. removed reverse (save weight and i never used it)
10. new 4 point harnests

What else should i do?

pics coming soon
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

 #1811  by PGH
 Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:02 am
Time to tear into your engine and transmission:

Performance Cam
Performance Variator and rollers
Heavier Clutch and Spring
Increase Final Drive Sprocket Size

 #1814  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:00 am
Looks great tanzi. Wow those tomberlin seats are heavy! Where did you get the lights from? Be sure to add your Punisher to the new Garage section of the site. You can tally up and show off all your mods there. :thumbsup:

http://www.buggydepot.com/forums/garage ... =main_menu

 #1815  by tanzi411
 Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:37 pm
I got the lights from off ebay. As for the engine mods, i hear that they dont really make a big difference at all. i may do the spring and the larger driver sprocket but probably not the rollers and stuff.

Where can i get a larger driver sprocket, all i have is the stock 13 tooth sprocket for forward only.

 #1819  by Way2Fst4U
 Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:48 pm
tanzi411 wrote:I got the lights from off ebay. As for the engine mods, i hear that they dont really make a big difference at all. i may do the spring and the larger driver sprocket but probably not the rollers and stuff.

Where can i get a larger driver sprocket, all i have is the stock 13 tooth sprocket for forward only.
Whoever told you that lied. My buggy is night and day after the mods.

You did a nice job on that buggy! Shame those lights can't shine too bright with that little stator we got! I could use those on mine! I can't see anything in the desert once it starts to get dark!

 #1821  by tanzi411
 Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:17 pm
i installed a larger lawn tractor batt so the lights are incredibly bright. although as you stated, the charging unit that the 150cc engine uses cant keep up with the large amp draw from the lights but on a full charge the batt will power the lights for hours and hours. All i do is take the batt out once a month or so and charge it up.

As for the lights i have the two outside lights wired on one switch and the two inside lights wired on another so i dont have to have all four on at the same time if i dont want.

 #1822  by tanzi411
 Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:18 pm
And thanks for all the great feedback! Its nice to know all my work doesnt go unnoticed

 #1823  by Way2Fst4U
 Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:32 pm
tanzi411 wrote:i installed a larger lawn tractor batt so the lights are incredibly bright. although as you stated, the charging unit that the 150cc engine uses cant keep up with the large amp draw from the lights but on a full charge the batt will power the lights for hours and hours. All i do is take the batt out once a month or so and charge it up.

As for the lights i have the two outside lights wired on one switch and the two inside lights wired on another so i dont have to have all four on at the same time if i dont want.
Are you running the lights from the battery then? Not off the stator like the stock system? You did a nice job on the buggy. Would like to see some more pics.

I've put a few items in the garage myself :)

 #1827  by tanzi411
 Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:50 pm
your correct, they are wired right into the battery. The stator only puts out enough power for a 55watt light, and even then they are not real bright. These lights are insane, you cant look right into them or you will go blind for a few seconds.

I will work on getting more pics and maybe a video.

 #1830  by Way2Fst4U
 Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:20 pm
tanzi411 wrote:your correct, they are wired right into the battery. The stator only puts out enough power for a 55watt light, and even then they are not real bright. These lights are insane, you cant look right into them or you will go blind for a few seconds.

I will work on getting more pics and maybe a video.
Be careful with that setup...sounds like you're putting a lot of stress on the stator and regulator/rectifier. If it can never catch up and it's always running, you'll eventually burn them out!