• BD Heavy Duty Ball joints

November 2019 Forum Retirement
Due to lack of extra personal time (and too much spam), I'm retiring the forum and setting it to a read-only state. No new registrations or posts will be accepted as of 11/09/19. However, all information will stay up and searchable. If you spend a few minutes searching, you'll find the answers you're looking for. We may re-open the forum next spring.
 #9836  by mikesova
 Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:22 am
I installed the ball joints on one side as shown in the directions and it definitely doesn't look right. The wheels/tires are sitting way cockeyed. I am including a picture. One side are the stock ball joints as I received them when I bought the kart second hand (the owner had installed a new front end) and the other side is the BD ball joints as installed by me per the instructions. Is the problem with the generation of my a-arms. Do I just need to flip one of the joints, like the other side is?

it isn't showing the whole picture, go here:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5458/9732 ... 8de3_b.jpg
 #9838  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:26 pm
Hey Mike,
It looks like you have 3rd generation spindles mounted on 1st/2nd generation A-arms. The previous owner might have bought the wrong gen spindles and compensated for the height/length differences by flipping the lower ball joints during install.

To be sure, can you measure the overall length of your upper and lower A-Arms and post that info here?

Thanks!
 #9839  by mikesova
 Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:12 pm
It looks like my top is 14 1/2" and the bottom is 15 1/2". So I have uneven A-arms with "even" spindles. What are the lengths of the "even" a-arms"? Can i get away with just replacing one from each side?
 #9840  by PGH
 Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:13 pm
Only the upper a-arms need to replaced with the longer ones. Maybe Travis will give you trade in core credit for the old ones?
 #9848  by PGH
 Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:28 am
Center your rack before attempting to set your toe. You may have to recenter the steering wheel based on the actual rack location. This should help, but you may need to drop the rack mounting location the same height as the BD ball joints to clear up bump steer.