• Front end rebuild

November 2019 Forum Retirement
Due to lack of extra personal time (and too much spam), I'm retiring the forum and setting it to a read-only state. No new registrations or posts will be accepted as of 11/09/19. However, all information will stay up and searchable. If you spend a few minutes searching, you'll find the answers you're looking for. We may re-open the forum next spring.
 #8923  by simmscity
 Thu May 26, 2011 12:44 pm
I just finished rebuildig the front end of my yerf dog 3206. I installed the 3" suspension lift, gnereation 3 spindles, heavy duty ball joints, as well as added the 8" wheels with 18" tires. my problem is that when i took it for a test ride the tires are pitching expecialy the right one. also the right one turns a lot more than the left. when installing the suspension lift i tried using the tie rod extension arms but for some reason when i used them i lost just about all my turning radious so i just extended the tie rods as far out as i thought they needed for the tires to look strait. im sure this is more than likely an error on my part but i need help trying to figure out how to fix this so i can go and ride.
 #8925  by PGH
 Thu May 26, 2011 2:29 pm
The tie rod joints will bind without those spacers resulting in premature failure.

Make sure your steering rack is centered and lay a couple of longer boards along the side of the front wheels. if the boards are straight ahead and the gap between the boards is the same forward and rearward of the wheels, the steering should be straight with no toe in or out. Verify that the rack is still centered and both front wheels are pointing forward after you connect the joints and cycle the steering through full motion.

Ideally you want 1/8-1/4" toe in on the front. I suggest turning each tie rod joint one full turn out. This will keep your alignment while slightly toeing each front wheel in proportionally.
 #8928  by simmscity
 Sun May 29, 2011 10:09 am
sounds good but a few questions. i already fully extended my tie rods so now should i go back and try and put them where they were orginaly? also i dont get the hole tire and board thing to ensure they are strait. wouldnt it be the samer seeing as how the boards are aligned with the tire so you are really only measuring the distance of the tires? im sorry to be so nieve but im a rook when it comes to things like this.
 #8929  by simmscity
 Sun May 29, 2011 11:33 am
I've included some photos to hopefully help.
Attachments
DSC00221.JPG
DSC00220.JPG
DSC00219.JPG
 #8930  by PGH
 Tue May 31, 2011 11:20 pm
Download this manual and see if the alignment on page 22 makes sense: http://www.hammerheadoffroad.com/owners/gt150.pdf
 #8931  by simmscity
 Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:51 am
ok that link does help explain what you were saying about the measuring. so thanks for that. now what should i do about the abnormal cambering angle of the tires?
 #8932  by PGH
 Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:45 pm
1. Make sure the punch marks on the cups are oriented properly on the BDX ball joints

2. Make sure the a-arm ears are not bent and both a-arms are flipped the same way (it looks like the upper a-arms were assembled upside down)

3. Try flipping the joints over so the cup is on the bottom