• Stator Ignition Voltage While Cranking

November 2019 Forum Retirement
Due to lack of extra personal time (and too much spam), I'm retiring the forum and setting it to a read-only state. No new registrations or posts will be accepted as of 11/09/19. However, all information will stay up and searchable. If you spend a few minutes searching, you'll find the answers you're looking for. We may re-open the forum next spring.
 #1758  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:27 pm
FYI:

Stator (Yerf Dog Color Code):
Black/Red CDI POWER wire - 1vAC @ CRANKING ; 65vAC @ IDLE
Blue/Yellow CDI TRIGGER wire - 0.80vAC @ CRANKING ; 0.88vAC @ IDLE

I know the 1vAC seems low coming off of the power wire during cranking, but that's what we got from ours here. Anyone have anything different?
 #4714  by douginoregon
 Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:04 pm
OK, just checked my red/blk and I got 19.6 VAC and the blue/yell I got .99VAC? and it still wont crank over, it just barely tries. here is what is going on: My yerfdog just stopped trying to crank over, infact it was DEAD, nothing when I hit the switch, then it statred (which tells me its a short or an open) I have taken the stater assemble off and looked for any burnt wires or anything visible. Being that this assemble is about a year old I am not too sure this is the issue. when it died on the trail there was no voltage to the ignition switch at all. I checked all the wires that I could then it fired up. I was able to make it back to the truck where it was unable to restart and and I came home. I have tried over and over to get it to turn over. Now its barely trying to crank. I have the battery fully chared, infact I have the battery charger hooked up when I am trying to crank it. it BARELY tries to crank. I have read over the how a stater works and that helped, but I have a blue/yellow wire not a blue/white wire as listed here. I have done the usual things like doulbe checked all teh wires for connectiojn, cracks or opens. Can you tell me the best way to test the starter? Heck I dont know where to turn now.

I will keep looking on your webpage to see if theres someone who has fixed this issue before, I am sure there is. thanks for the great site.!!
 #4727  by PGH
 Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:00 am
Please download the service manual from SpiderboxPerformance.com and follow the ignition troubleshooting section. If it does not lead you to your problem, report back with your measurements and we will work from there.
 #4751  by douginoregon
 Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:09 pm
OK, after re-re-reading the troubleshooting I went back to testing my battery. Sure enough it was bad. I replaced it and I was able to atleast turn it over and it started but ran REAL BAD. it was sputtering and spitting and backfiring, so I swapped out the ignitor and so far its running OK. We'll have to see how long it lasts.

thanks for telling me about the voltages and where to look for the information.

Doug
 #10137  by rusty1231
 Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:46 am
Hi all,
I'm helping a friend with a Hammerhead Twister 150 (i think) I've read your ignition testing section and have the required voltages at the CDI supply from the stator and from the CDI trigger. This is with the wires disconnected as explained in your text. When I reconnect these wires to the CDI unit to check the CDI output there is no output and there is no measurable input as well. How much load does the CDI unit put on the supply winding? Open circuit it is 85VAC @cranking but drops to nil when connected to CDI.

I note that this machine uses a single pole relay (driven by the key-switch) to pull pin3/4 of the CDI to earth and enable the CDI. I haven't seen any diagrams that show a similar setup but it does look original.

Thanks in advance for your wise comments.

Rusty
 #10288  by Christian
 Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:27 pm
I just received my new stator for my yerf dog scout and am still having the same issue as I had with the old stator.
I don't have any spark. I tested the leads coming from the stator while cranking and have spark coming from the green and blue
Wire. The white and the yellow do nothing. Not sure if I recieved a bad stator? Thanks for any input.
 #10289  by PGH
 Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:08 pm
The Scout uses a DC powered CDI off the rectifier verses the Spiderbox that uses a different CDI that is AC powered directly off the stator when cranking. Prior to swapping out your stator did you verify that no AC output was on leads into the rectifier. The rectifier output is DC which feeds the CDI and battery charging.
 #10546  by timmoss
 Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:42 pm
Just took these measurements yesterday on our Yerf Dog and got:

Black/Red = .1 to .2
Blue/Yel= 9 to 14

Right now it starts fine jumping the solenoid terminals but won't start with the switch....

Timmoss
Buggy Depot wrote:FYI:

Stator (Yerf Dog Color Code):
Black/Red CDI POWER wire - 1vAC @ CRANKING ; 65vAC @ IDLE
Blue/Yellow CDI TRIGGER wire - 0.80vAC @ CRANKING ; 0.88vAC @ IDLE

I know the 1vAC seems low coming off of the power wire during cranking, but that's what we got from ours here. Anyone have anything different?