• Baja 150 buggy transmission issue

November 2019 Forum Retirement
Due to lack of extra personal time (and too much spam), I'm retiring the forum and setting it to a read-only state. No new registrations or posts will be accepted as of 11/09/19. However, all information will stay up and searchable. If you spend a few minutes searching, you'll find the answers you're looking for. We may re-open the forum next spring.
 #10412  by cork
 Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:16 pm
My off-road buggy has the GY6 engine and forward or reverse gears.Problem is , I have to rig a bungee cord to the shifter bellcrank or it will slip a tooth or so under load.I figure the spring inside has gotten weak, and I haven't been able to find a parts breakdown on it.Probably a torsion spring?Anyone have this happen ? Thanks
 #10514  by bcrane112
 Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:54 pm
Hi, I just read your posting about slipping out of gear under load. I have a Baja 150 buggy that i believe is doing the same thing, like a clunk or skipping a tooth on the sprocket is what mine sounds like. Is that similar to yours? I have just gotten this buggy together (I bought it as a basket case), and have had it out once. Have you since remedied the problem? Or what have you tried? Maybe we can double diagnose this thing.
 #10523  by cork
 Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:16 pm
I found an adjustment screw below and to the left of the shift actuator, and by loosening the locknut, and tightening the adj. screw, seems to have solved the problem. Loose drive chain could also make a skip. Good luck Also-make sure that the shifter cable is not too tight as that will help it slip
 #10551  by bcrane112
 Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:12 am
Right on glad you got it fixed. I ended up taking it apart and setting up my preload spring on my cable at the shifter a little tighter. Then checking the engagement in forward and reverse while it was disassembled. One ride later and so far so good. But ya I tried setting my drive chain a little tighter (about 3\8 slack) just to be sure, even though there was no visible wear that the chain had been skipping. It really freaked me out though, such a hard clunk under load. I was sure something broke but everything looked good and healthy.