• My new buggy project

November 2019 Forum Retirement
Due to lack of extra personal time (and too much spam), I'm retiring the forum and setting it to a read-only state. No new registrations or posts will be accepted as of 11/09/19. However, all information will stay up and searchable. If you spend a few minutes searching, you'll find the answers you're looking for. We may re-open the forum next spring.
 #10423  by PGH
 Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:07 pm
If you support the end of the shift shaft out of the engine with a bushing or bearing and then rotate the shaft with a lever, it will take the slop out of the engine side. I didn't see enough for the hand shifter to get any ideas.
 #10424  by WizardMaster
 Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:26 am
The shift hand lever is the front middle lever connected with that welded rod to the white frame contraption I painted white, behind the drivers seat after I had a pipe welded to the top length of it to stop some of the flex because it is thin angle iron and I doubt it is even bed frame material because it flexed so much. You can see that extension connecting rod is coming off the rear end left side of that white frame and laying were it would connect to the other angle iron section that swivels by a bolt in the frame but connected near the top just below where the steel shift rod is welded to that angle iron. It is just so sloppy, flexible and weak.
One idea I had....I was thinking about a piece of flat steel about 1/4" thick, 1-1/2" wide and about 6" tall with a hole at the top, center and bottom and it would swivel from the center like a push/pull system. Too much to explain but it could take the place of that white angle framework. Wish I knew how to do clip art so I could make a picture LOL!!!!
If I find a better photo, I will post it. I think I have a better one of that white frame extension thingy......LOL
 #10425  by WizardMaster
 Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:39 am
phpmxpfWZPM.jpg
phpLZny87PM.jpg
The metal frame that connects fron the extension from the shift lever and to the foot shift on the engine.
php8b51dvPM.jpg
A view of the shifting system with the extension rod coming from the shifter lever to the metal square framework before I had a pipe welded into the top of it to stop some of the flex. Did not do much good. Now it flexes from the bottom and broke a corner weld at the top of the framework. Bad system but nice try I say.
 #10427  by WizardMaster
 Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:58 am
BTW, the shift pattern is 1 down and 5 up. So on the shift lever it is a forward thrust and then 5 to the rear. I was looking at the picture of the rod welded to the shifter bracket and the across to the angle iron piece that swivels on a bolt on the frame and I must say that a lot of stress on everything is because even though that shift mechanism on the engine must move in an 'arch' type pattern, the rod, welded into that angle iron does not swivel at either end and therefore is always fighting the 'arch' movement because the arch pattern on the outside is not as small of an arch pattern and is more of a straight line movement.
 #10431  by WizardMaster
 Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:16 pm
phpoeJyycPM.jpg
phpnV25njPM.jpg
phpNX9BYdPM.jpg
OK, got the 2005 Kaw Ninja EX500 engine de-greased and the frame remnants removed and on the table ready for dismantle. Here are some more photos of that shifter. Just GENIUS!!!!!!!! :yikes:
 #10435  by PGH
 Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:48 pm
Where the plate attaches to the shift shaft coming out of the engine case, I would use a Heim joint to solid rod going to your shift handle. If you cannot make a straight shot you will need to make a second pivot point with a lateral offset to get the alignment.

Your other option is use a push/pull cable off that plate and mount a cable housing clamp on the engine case.

The setup you have now allows for too much flex and slop for accurate shifting.