• New - saying hello

November 2019 Forum Retirement
Due to lack of extra personal time (and too much spam), I'm retiring the forum and setting it to a read-only state. No new registrations or posts will be accepted as of 11/09/19. However, all information will stay up and searchable. If you spend a few minutes searching, you'll find the answers you're looking for. We may re-open the forum next spring.
 #9412  by gbeard
 Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:37 pm
First post, been reading for a while... Just wanted to pop in and sasy thanks to all who contribute to this list. It's a great resource for how-to's and why the heck doesn't it work right.

We "inherited" a Crossfire 150R from my younger brother (of 20 years!) that was in rough shape. It had been used in the cow pastures of SD for 3-4 years and spent time up-side-down in a swamp. He had to pull it out with the farm tractor. The front tires were flat and split half way around from sitting. The engine had been run low on oil several times. Cage pads were shot, brakes didn't work... basically ridden VERY hard and put away dirty.

I replaced a few items (thank you Buggy Depot) and got it running for a Christmas gift for my kids. I was to pay my mother the difference between what I though it was worth and how much time and effort it took to get it going. Thankfully, she was standing at the window watching as the piston wrist pin seized to the connecting rod and it stopped after on the third lap around the yard. It put down a pretty good mosquito fog the first lap due to poor valve seals.

I tossed around how to repair it and decided i would attempt to save time by buying a whole new 150cc off eBay and popping it in. As soon as it was unboxed, I realized it had the wrong transmission and would not work with the Howhit reverse. All I needed off the old engine was the left half of the crankcase... easy, right? No. The absolute hardest part of the teardown on both engines was, by far, removing the kick start gear from the left side of the crank. Tried all sorts of pullers and nothing worked for me. Ended up heating the snot out of it and hit it with the Thor hammer. After filing and recutting the crank shaft threads (12x1.25 BTW) I was in business. Assembly only took a day and we had it back out this afternoon. Hopefully, now it will run for a long time with no extra attention.

I replaced the rock hard shocks with Fox rebuildable gas shocks from a snowmobile, changed fluid, and bled the brakes. BTW, the shocks on this buggy are incredibly stiff. The cart must be designed for 2 full size adults. The front shocks are 100 lbs/in and the rears are an amazing 300 lbs/in!! I replaced them with 90 lbs/in in the front and 100 lbs/in in the rear. The shock body is threaded so you can adjust the preload for the weight of the passengers easily and quickly. It's made a HUGE difference in the way it rides. (Or so my kid tells me.... ;) )

Thanks again for the great board.
Glen

Image
 #9413  by PGH
 Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:46 am
Nice work.

BTW: I wouldn't lend it back to your brother.