• What's up with adjustable cdi's

November 2019 Forum Retirement
Due to lack of extra personal time (and too much spam), I'm retiring the forum and setting it to a read-only state. No new registrations or posts will be accepted as of 11/09/19. However, all information will stay up and searchable. If you spend a few minutes searching, you'll find the answers you're looking for. We may re-open the forum next spring.
 #10555  by bcrane112
 Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:04 am
I have seen adjustable cdi's for these, and I understand the benefits of adjusting the timing but where are you reading the timing from? How are you reading the timing? Do I need a different gun than my run of the mill auto timing light?
 #10567  by NCFRC
 Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:36 am
I may be wrong but there seems to be alot of marketing hype about high performance CDI boxes.

I just bought one on line w/o rev limiter and a more advanced timing curve ,,,, very happy with it.

The only problem , if thats the rt. word , with a stock unit it that the manufacturer takes a very conservative
approach as they know most consumers are going to run the cheapest , lowest octane fuel available.

Ours see's nothing less than 93 non-ethanol and runs great. Jetted so the choke is not required and it fires up
first try every time.

The advanced timing CDI box even makes it idle a lot smoother
 #10568  by bcrane112
 Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:19 am
I agree, I also run nothing but 93 octane. I couldn't tell much of a difference at all besides the absence of a rev limiter. But with the mods I have and the passengers I usually carry, we aren't exactly bouncing off the red line. That's why I was wanting info on adjustable cdi boxes. I have seen these were the timing is not preset and you can play with it inside of a set spectrum of course. I figured I could gain alot of midrange power with one.
 #10570  by PGH
 Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:54 am
I have one on my GY6 scooter. If you advance timing too much, you lose low end. There is a happy medium based on your cam timing and air/fuel delivery. I bought this one to see what all hype is about and found I can get a little better idle and top end, but it did nothing noticeable in the bottom end.