• GY6 Crossfire 150cc carburator intake obstructed by crossmember.

• Have a technical problem? Ask here.
November 2019 Forum Retirement
Due to lack of extra personal time (and too much spam), I'm retiring the forum and setting it to a read-only state. No new registrations or posts will be accepted as of 11/09/19. However, all information will stay up and searchable. If you spend a few minutes searching, you'll find the answers you're looking for. We may re-open the forum next spring.
Have a technical problem? Ask here.
Forum rules: Help us to help you, by reading our information in this Forum thoroughly and performing the tests within to pinpoint your issue.
 #13105  by Stevcam
 Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:41 am
[img]
I am not familiar with the Tomberlin Crossfire at all, it was a machine I received basically in a box and frame. I reassembled the engine, repaired wiring and assorted linking items. My problem is the carb intake is obstructed by the frame crossmember so I am unable to install high flow uni air filter. Have I got the wrong carb or am I missing something? I can send pics to anyone who might be able to assist me.
Last edited by Stevcam on Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 #13112  by Gunsanddaisys
 Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:42 pm
That's not a new problem. Everyone who uprades the orginal air intake to a uni filter has to add an extension tube between the carb throat and filter. You can look up gy6 redneck intakes for examples of fabricated ones for sale and other's homebrew ones. I think Travis may actually sell them on the website under performance upgrades as well.

My solution was to take an aluminized steel exhaust step down tube from autozone that matched both the carb diameter and the filter inner diameter. To adapt the tube to the carb, I got a radiator hose adapter from any autoparts store that has the right size and hose clamped it. I eventually ended up welding a nipple into the pipe to provide a crankcase vent tube input and painted the whole thing black. Works beautifully to make room for the filter and "should" aid in a more laminar flow through the carb rather than the filter by itself.