• Best way to add a stand-alone lighting set up on Yerf Spiderbox?

• Have a technical problem? Ask here.

READ THE SECTION RULES BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP
Have a technical problem? Ask here.

READ THE SECTION RULES BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP
Forum rules: Help us to help you, by reading our information in this Forum thoroughly and performing the tests within to pinpoint your issue.
 #12916  by CG Rob
 Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:00 pm
Hi all,

My son has a Yerf Spiderbox / Howhit GY6 that He would like to add led headlights and tail lights to. I have installed a separate wiring harness through the battery to run the lighting system, but now the charge voltage to the battery is too high. I’m sure this is due to the fact that the two incandescent bulbs are no longer balancing the load, so I added two 50W 6A resistors to the factory lighting circuit. That dropped the voltage, but my charge voltage is still 16VDC. Just a bit too high for my liking. I have already fried one battery, and would like to not have a repeat. Any ideas?

Also, anyone have any pointers as to what would be the best way to pull this off? I figured that adding a dedicated battery for the lighting system might be the best way to go since the stock 8ah battery used for starting doesn’t last very long. Would a higher amp hour battery work to supply both systems? I don’t mind having to plug in a charger after each ride- going to have to do that anyway with a dedicated battery.

Thanks in advance for your input!

-Rob
 #12942  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:08 pm
What is the wattage rating on the LED bar and tail light? If it's total more than 75w, I recommend going straight for the 11-pole upgrade kit. Keep in mind that the stator is the source of electrical power. Using a bigger battery won't do much for you if your stator isn't putting out enough power to keep up with the total load.

STAGE 2 Electrical Upgrade (11-pole System)
https://www.buggydepot.com/product/156/ ... ystem.html

I've recommended the 8-pole in the past, but once you get to adding electrical accessories it's hard to stop. It's cheaper in the end to upgrade straight to 11-pole instead of paying twice.

Even without a load, the stock rectifier should hold 13.5 to 14.5v output. Without being there myself I can't tell for sure, but I'd bet the rectifier is having internal problems and should be replaced if you don't plan to upgrade to a higher capacity stator/rectifier combo.

Having a dedicated battery for lighting comes up frequently, but it's something that in the end it's not something that is very reliable and will be much higher maintenance. Using a dedicated battery will put a short time limit the amount of time you can use your lights and accessories while riding, and the lifespan of a battery used in that way will be short.