• FAQ: GY6 Maintenance Questions

• Have a technical problem? Ask here.
November 2019 Forum Retirement
Due to lack of extra personal time (and too much spam), I'm retiring the forum and setting it to a read-only state. No new registrations or posts will be accepted as of 11/09/19. However, all information will stay up and searchable. If you spend a few minutes searching, you'll find the answers you're looking for. We may re-open the forum next spring.
Have a technical problem? Ask here.
Forum rules: Help us to help you, by reading our information in this Forum thoroughly and performing the tests within to pinpoint your issue.
 #10731  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:48 am
What type of oil is used in the engine and final transmission?

800ml of 10w40 (Any reputable brand)
115ml of 80w90 Gear Lubricant

There are too many (wrong) opinions on oil for the GY6 that have been floating around the internet for the last few years.
Unless you drive in the Sahara desert, or in the Arctic, you should use the factory recommended oil weight. Ignore other recommendations.

What type of lubricant is used in the reverse gearbox?

Internal reverse models: 80w90. The same oil as the transmission.

Normal external reverse models: (Warning: anecdotal advice) Any general purpose grease should be fine, any reputable brand. There isn't an official spec for this, but the reverse gearbox isn't a tight tolerance system. In my experience it will take whatever you feed it as long as you don't mix formulas. I've seen them run dry for years as long as the bearings don't see significant moisture. Most later models came with bearings that are sealed, so even that's not a problem for most.

What spark plug and gap setting should I use?

Use an NGK C7HSA or equivalent.
You'll get (bad) advice all over the internet to go hotter or colder at the plug to fix a problem. Ignore that unless you ride in an extreme climate. If you have an problem with the engine running, don't waste time trying new plugs.
Attachments
oil.jpg
plug.jpg
 #10850  by PVBUGGY1
 Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:32 pm
How many ounces of gear oil goes into the transmission for the carbide 7150, 150cc?
Is there different place to drain and add gear oil for the transmission and the forward/neutral/reverse gearbox or are they lubed with the same oil? If not can some post some pics of the different drains and fills. Fluid capacity for each
PV
 #10872  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:14 pm
Internal Reverse/Transmission Fill Capacity

750ml of 80/90w according to the ASW 6150/7250/200 Service Manual.

May vary between internal reverse models. Usually you will want to fill until oil begins overflowing from the fill port. Allow the excess to drain from the fill port.

Attachments
internal-reverse-oil.jpg