• GY6 No Spark Troubleshooting

• Have a technical problem? Ask here.

READ THE SECTION RULES BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP
Have a technical problem? Ask here.

READ THE SECTION RULES BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP
Forum rules: Help us to help you, by reading our information in this Forum thoroughly and performing the tests within to pinpoint your issue.
 #10631  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:55 pm
FIRST, follow this guide:

NEXT, fill out these questions:
AC and DC Ignition Troubleshooting Sheet:
(copy and paste this into a new post)

Vehicle model: ?? (Like "Yerf Dog Spiderbox")

Test Setup:
CDI Pin 4 grounded with a jumper? YES? or NO?
CDI Pin 5 completely disconnected? YES? or NO?

Voltages:
CDI Pin 1: ?.?? vAC
CDI Pin 2: ?.?? vAC
CDI Pin 6: ???vAC

Symptoms:
Write a brief description of your symptoms. Example: "No spark and loss of output voltage from cdi"

Don't comment on the article, come back here to post your numbers and get help pinpointing the problem.
Attachments
Ignition Troubleshooting.jpg
Ignition Troubleshooting.jpg (135.33 KiB) Viewed 107243 times
 #10681  by jeshaw54
 Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:44 pm
Model: Kandi GKA2

Test Setup:
CDI Pin 4 grounded with a jumper? YES
CDI Pin 5 completely disconnected? YES

Voltages:
CDI Pin 1: 0.25vAC
CDI Pin 2: 0.4vAC
CDI Pin 6: 85vAC

Symptoms:
No spark and loss of output voltage from cdi

Notes:
I have 4 cdi boxes and all have different output voltages(15 vac, 9 vac, 5 vac, 84 vac) but .04 vac plugged in
could it be another faulty cdi or something grounded? ( cdi's not yours)

Admin edit: Formatting.
 #10683  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:57 am
Your input voltages on pins 1 and 6 are very healthy. You don't have a stator or trigger issue. The coil is also fine.

1. Check to make sure you have at least one ground from the harness to one of the (many) 8mm bolts on the engine.

2. Look on the back of your CDIs. Do you see any bumps or bulges? Go ahead and upload a couple clear pictures of your CDIs.

Tip to readers: Don't turn the engine over for more than 5 seconds without seeing spark. The #1 killer of AC CDI's is turning over while sparkless. If you see an obvious bump on the back of the CDI, that's what happened.

jeshaw54 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:44 pm
Model: Kandi GKA2

Test Setup:
CDI Pin 4 grounded with a jumper? YES
CDI Pin 5 completely disconnected? YES

Voltages:
CDI Pin 1: 0.25vAC
CDI Pin 2: 0.4vAC
CDI Pin 6: 85vAC

Symptoms:
No spark and loss of output voltage from cdi

Notes:
I have 4 cdi boxes and all have different output voltages(15 vac, 9 vac, 5 vac, 84 vac) but .04 vac plugged in
could it be another faulty cdi or something grounded? ( cdi's not yours)

Admin edit: Formatting.
 #10803  by jeshaw54
 Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:44 pm
Sorry for the delay in returning, my computer crashed. the cdi boxes have no warps or bulges. they look just like new.
I also have several grounds to the motor from the harness. I am going to try to load the pics of the cdi boxes this weekend. Do you have any other suggestions? thanks, John
 #10804  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:04 pm
Thanks John, I'll take a look at the pictures.

I've run into similar symptoms before. High voltage from the CDI with the coil unplugged, but low voltage with the coil connected. It turned out to be a defective kill switch. If you've already de-pinned #5 at the CDI, this wouldn't be your problem though.
 #10890  by nunegarza
 Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:28 pm
I bought the kit for the no spark problem and it didn't work. I get 25vAC from stator. I get 0.10vAC from trigger. I cut the kill wire. I cut the ground wire and ran it to the bat ground. There is no #3. At the positive side of the coil I get no reading when the engine is cranking. Don't know what else to do. Any help will be appreciated.
 #10909  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:45 am
nunegarza wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:28 pm
I bought the kit for the no spark problem and it didn't work. I get 25vAC from stator. I get 0.10vAC from trigger. I cut the kill wire. I cut the ground wire and ran it to the bat ground. There is no #3. At the positive side of the coil I get no reading when the engine is cranking. Don't know what else to do. Any help will be appreciated.

My first impression based on your description is that this is going to be wiring harness related. Also, battery ground is incorrect for the CDI. The AC Ignition system grounds through the engine directly.

Take a look at the formatting example in my original post. If you'll format your numbers and information that way, I can help you pinpoint the issue. Thank you.
 #11064  by KevinGearhead
 Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:16 pm
I’m also having issues with spark. When I first got the Maxxam 150 2R, it ran fine. The ignition switch was really difficult to engage, I ordered a new ignition switch, new kill switch, new coil and new CDI (with orange color). I have voltage to the green and black wires to the coil, but no spark from the coil to the plug. I know my kill switch is working because when my son cranks the key AND pushes the kill switch, I lose voltage to the green and black wires. I’ve also got the brake pressure switch connected with a jumper (got tired real fast pushing on the brake pedal to start!). What am I missing?! This maxxam is about to get a Viking funeral down my driveway into the cul-de-sac!
Kevin
Knoxville, Tennessee
 #11065  by tablerockauto
 Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:27 pm
Stator voltage 60 volts trigger voltage .6 volts no spark until right as key is shut off coil voltage is 30 volts at the coil wires. this all happens whether pin 4 is jumpered and pin 5 is completely disconnected kind of stuck not sure what to check next hopefully im posting this right new to the buggy scene I fix cars for a living
 #11085  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:13 am
tablerockauto wrote:Stator voltage 60 volts trigger voltage .6 volts no spark until right as key is shut off coil voltage is 30 volts at the coil wires. this all happens whether pin 4 is jumpered and pin 5 is completely disconnected kind of stuck not sure what to check next hopefully im posting this right new to the buggy scene I fix cars for a living
So with #4 jumpered to ground, and #5 disconnected, you're still only getting spark once at the instant that the switch is shut off?