• GY6 No Spark Troubleshooting

• Have a technical problem? Ask here.

READ THE SECTION RULES BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP
Have a technical problem? Ask here.

READ THE SECTION RULES BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP
Forum rules: Help us to help you, by reading our information in this Forum thoroughly and performing the tests within to pinpoint your issue.
 #11093  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:52 pm
I meant to ask in my earlier post, what is the make/model name of the vehicle that you're working on?
tablerockauto wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:31 pm
Correct I crank and crank no spark till I stop turning the key
 #11094  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:59 pm
KevinGearhead wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:16 pm
I’m also having issues with spark. When I first got the Maxxam 150 2R, it ran fine. The ignition switch was really difficult to engage, I ordered a new ignition switch, new kill switch, new coil and new CDI (with orange color). I have voltage to the green and black wires to the coil, but no spark from the coil to the plug. I know my kill switch is working because when my son cranks the key AND pushes the kill switch, I lose voltage to the green and black wires. I’ve also got the brake pressure switch connected with a jumper (got tired real fast pushing on the brake pedal to start!). What am I missing?! This maxxam is about to get a Viking funeral down my driveway into the cul-de-sac!
Kevin
Knoxville, Tennessee
Hey Kevin,
I think this is the key part of your description:
when my son cranks the key AND pushes the kill switch, I lose voltage to the green and black wires [ignition coil]
This tells me that everything is working fine up until the coil. Since the coil is new, it's possible that the plug boot end wasn't properly attached to the coil wire. It's very rare, but I've seen it before. Can you swap over your original coil and see if there is a difference? Lmk.
 #11100  by tablerockauto
 Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:28 pm
Its a tomberlin crossfire 150r side note the key switch is a off the shelf 3 wire switch it rolls starter over and gives ground signal to all it should this unit has the no spark kit installed ive checked wiring several times its going where it should appreciate the help
 #11122  by kenedy
 Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:52 pm
Mine is like this:
Voltages:
CDI Pin 1: 0.25vAC
CDI Pin 2: 0.4vAC
CDI Pin 6: 85vAC
 #11163  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:16 pm
tablerockauto wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:28 pm
Its a tomberlin crossfire 150r side note the key switch is a off the shelf 3 wire switch it rolls starter over and gives ground signal to all it should this unit has the no spark kit installed ive checked wiring several times its going where it should appreciate the help
The keyswitch may actually be the problem. I suspect you're getting continuity to ground on pin #5 with the switch turned on. Then in the dead space between "start" and "run", continuity is broken allowing spark to occur.

When you turn the key to the start and run position, you should get no continuity at Pin #5 of the CDI. And must get continuity on Pin #4. The CDI won't function unless both of these conditions are true.

An extra tip: When the switch turns off, #5 must get continuity to ground to kill the engine.
 #11164  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:17 pm
kenedy wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:52 pm
Mine is like this:
Voltages:
CDI Pin 1: 0.25vAC
CDI Pin 2: 0.4vAC
CDI Pin 6: 85vAC
You've got very healthy stator voltages. Is #4 jumpered, and #5 bypassed?
 #12837  by chrisblack604
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:42 pm
American Sportworks Blue Lightning 150cc

Test Setup:
CDI Pin 4 grounded with a jumper YES
CDI Pin 5 completely disconnected YES

Voltages:
CDI Pin 1: 0.015
CDI Pin 2: 0.142
CDI Pin 6: 86

Stator: 84
Trigger: 0.125

CDI output: 50 (coil not connected)
CDI ouput: 0 (coil connected)

Symptoms:
No spark from 3 different coils, 2 stators and triggers, 2 cdi.

Notes: shop that had the buggy before me rewired the harness. Pin 5 has continuity with switch in the run position.