• CDI Issues

• Have a technical problem? Ask here.

READ THE SECTION RULES BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP
Have a technical problem? Ask here.

READ THE SECTION RULES BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP
Forum rules: Help us to help you, by reading our information in this Forum thoroughly and performing the tests within to pinpoint your issue.
 #12618  by TexasMech
 Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:58 am
I edited my post where I missed your reply, it’s on the first page.
Also, I have not had any issues once it’s started with how it runs and idles. It will re-start quite easily as well. I do take very good care of this machine, the only thing I need to do is adjust the valves. Maybe that will fix my problem, it’s has gotten worse over the years. I’ve put over 120 hours on it since they were adjusted from the previous owner.
 #12654  by TexasMech
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:54 am
I adjusted the valves last night and it started right up with my old blue-finned cdi, I turned it off right away and hooked up the BD CDI and it wouldn’t start after a couple of tries, disconnected it and reconnected it, making sure all the pins were pushed in, still won’t start. Hooked the blue-finned one back up and it started right up. Drive it around for about half an hour and come back with it hot, turned it off and put the BD CDI back on, it started and ran, but not quite as good as the other one, I adjusted the carb with it running to get a good mixture, and then drive it around for another 15 minutes, came back and it would still start up hot without too much gas pedal pushing. But the blue finned will start right up no problem.
Went in this morning before work to ty and start it, it won’t start again, tried a couple times and before I adjusted the carb, I plugged in the blue-finned CDI and it started right up.
I think Travis was spot-on with the valves needing to be adjusted, the performance has increased, especially at low rpm. But I think the Buggy Depot CDI I have may be defective or incorrect for my application. Either way, I’m just going to turn it over to customer service to see what they can do for me. I’m jut glad to have solved the problem
 #12655  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:20 am
We can send you both a standard and a replacement upgraded CDI to test both. How's that sound?
 #12662  by TexasMech
 Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:22 am
That sounds fantastic Travis, you guys have always given me the best customer service in the years I’ve been shopping with Buggy Depot. Once I get them I’ll post on this thread at how each one works
 #12709  by TexasMech
 Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:40 am
I got the replacement CDIs in and installed on Wednesday. I tried the stock one first and it started up easily and runs good. Drove it around a bit and it performs as expected (a bit better than the actual stock CDI) and doesn’t have a rev limiter as advertised. I went back and put on the performance CDI and it also started up very easily and idles smooth, the performance is noticeably increased at low and high rpm, and I get that nice exhaust pop when I let off the gas at full throttle and top speed. Exhaust smells stoich and it will sit and idle for as long as you want it to. Starts up cold great. I keep the stock one in the kart and have the performance one installed. Looks like I’m good to go now!
Thanks a lot Travis and the Buggy Depot team for getting me squared away!
 #12711  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:34 am
TexasMech wrote:I got the replacement CDIs in and installed on Wednesday. I tried the stock one first and it started up easily and runs good. Drove it around a bit and it performs as expected (a bit better than the actual stock CDI) and doesn’t have a rev limiter as advertised. I went back and put on the performance CDI and it also started up very easily and idles smooth, the performance is noticeably increased at low and high rpm, and I get that nice exhaust pop when I let off the gas at full throttle and top speed. Exhaust smells stoich and it will sit and idle for as long as you want it to. Starts up cold great. I keep the stock one in the kart and have the performance one installed. Looks like I’m good to go now!
Thanks a lot Travis and the Buggy Depot team for getting me squared away!

Awesome, that's great to hear. Mind leaving us a review? Here's the best place: Buggy Depot Reviews

We solve problems same as this every day, but the everyday positive outcomes usually go unsaid. Reviews are hard as hell to come by unless a person wants to scream at us over something.

Thanks man (y)
 #12714  by TexasMech
 Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:12 pm
Sure thing! You guys rock!
One thing though, Travis, do you guys have any stickers? My kart is literally covered in stickers but I don’t have any Buggy Depot stickers