• CDI issues

• Have a technical problem? Ask here.

READ THE SECTION RULES BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP
Have a technical problem? Ask here.

READ THE SECTION RULES BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP
Forum rules: Help us to help you, by reading our information in this Forum thoroughly and performing the tests within to pinpoint your issue.
 #11045  by Monster
 Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:05 pm
Okay I had a guy bring me a Carter GSX150IIR telling me it wouldn't start. He changed the CDI, coil, stator, and plug. When he got here with it I went straight to the spark plug. It would have spark when the starter was first engaged and as soon as you let off the key, I removed the kill switch and I could get it to start a few times but not every time. I told him to get a new ignition switch and sent him on his way. Mind you the factory plug in ignition switch was removed at some point and a universal 4 post switch was put in its place. He changed the switch but still couldn't get it to start. He brought it back this morning and I noticed the battery wire was connected to the start post and the starter wire was on the battery post. Hooked up like that it will turn over all day but will not energize the ignition. I swapped them but still no spark. At the CDI box I removed my #5 wire to eliminate kill switch issues and with my volt meter i found that i have power at my # 1,3,4,5, and 6 posts but only with the ignition switch on. I went to connect a secure ground from the negative post from the battery to my #4 wire and found that as soon as I connect the ground the motor turns over and starts. The motor dies as soon as I remove the ground. Been working on these things for a long time and have never seen this. I'm going to pull the wiring harness to check for exposed wires while I wait for a reply.

Thanks
 #11082  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:43 am
Monster wrote:At the CDI box I removed my #5 wire to eliminate kill switch issues and with my volt meter i found that i have power at my # 1,3,4,5, and 6 posts but only with the ignition switch on.
What voltages were you seeing on each of these pins?
Monster wrote:I went to connect a secure ground from the negative post from the battery to my #4 wire and found that as soon as I connect the ground the motor turns over and starts. The motor dies as soon as I remove the ground.
Just to make sure I'm on the same page, you jumpered from ground to #4 and it instantly began to turn over and started without any other action on your part? (with no use of the switch, etc?). Is that right?