• Convert to electric or invest in new muffler on Carbide 7151?

• Have a technical problem? Ask here.

READ THE SECTION RULES BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP
Have a technical problem? Ask here.

READ THE SECTION RULES BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP
Forum rules: Help us to help you, by reading our information in this Forum thoroughly and performing the tests within to pinpoint your issue.
 #11042  by tdwest12
 Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:21 am
Hey folks,
I'm brand new to the buggy world and I have a couple questions. My friend and I love to visit kids programs, ERs and schools dressed as Batman and Captain America to give talks or just visit with kids. It's awesome! But I want to step up our presence so I bought a 150cc Fox Carbide 7151 by American Sportworks. Here's my quesitons:
1. I can't get a spark when I turn the key. I've checked everything I know how, but can't pinpoint the problem.
2. Is it possible to switch this buggy over to electric, like a golf cart? I'd like to mount a small speaker to the frame so I can play music, but I think it will be way too loud. If not electric, is there a type of muffler that will significantly cut down on sound from the engine? I don't need the cart to go fast, as I won't be taking it off road much.
Any help is very much appreciated!
 #11081  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:38 am
Question 1:
Take a look at my DC CDI pinout diagram:

https://www.buggydepot.com/tech-center/ ... am-dc-cdi/

Set your multimeter to DC, what voltages to you get on each pin with the key on?

Question 2:
There is a thread over on BuggyNews of a guy that converted a Manco Carbide (I believe) to full electric. It's a very involved project, but seems like a lot of fun if you're willing to invest the time and funds.

Off the shelf exhausts don't get any more quiet than the original. You could build your own using a supertrap or other sound-adjustable muffler. But It's not something I've personally done, so not sure how effective such a setup would be.
 #11114  by tdwest12
 Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:33 am
Thanks so much for the information!

Here's my numbers with volt meter set to 20 DCV
1. 0
2. 0.11
3. 0.09
4. X
5. X
6. 7.44

My battery may be on it's way out, but I always charged it before trying to start the engine. I haven't charged it in about a month though. It's just been sitting in the garage to give these readings.

Also, I couldn't find the article about converting the buggy to electric. Do you happen to remember the title of it?

Thanks again for the help!