• Vehicle won't activate the starter (No action from pressing switch)

• Have a technical problem? Ask here.

READ THE SECTION RULES BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP
Have a technical problem? Ask here.

READ THE SECTION RULES BEFORE POSTING FOR HELP
Forum rules: Help us to help you, by reading our information in this Forum thoroughly and performing the tests within to pinpoint your issue.
 #10918  by Jim508
 Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:36 pm
I have put a new 175cc engine in my spiderbox 150. I hooked up the wiring harness and have two leads left over, one black and one yellow. The engine start and ran. i turned it off and it wouldnt start again. zero turn over. Nothing happens when I press the ignition button. I have 12.75v at the battery, the solenoid, and the ground is good. The coil checked out fine with the meter, and I put in a new CDI. Nothing. Just silence. I checked the connection for the brake switch and it looks fine. The engine with start to turn over if I jump the solenoid. Not long enough to start it, but long enough that i know the starter motor still works. Any idea what I should try next? Thanks!

ADMIN EDIT: Changed the title for searchability.
 #10920  by tkeagle
 Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:24 am
Have you tried jumping or by passing the starter button? It's happened to me. Just take screw driver or wire, and connect the 2 wires. If tries to start, then there is your issue.
Other things?? I know sounds simple, but check make sure have no wires grounding out to frame, or with each other.
The wire connection from stator, and ect. Don't always connect completely, or stay there. I use small zip ties and heat shrink. To help them stay tight together.
Just sounds strange that got it started once, then nothing. Also, you crossed the solenoid, but doesn't turn fast enough to start? That's strange. Really sounds like your grounding out somewhere, or loss of juice.
I don't recall having any leads left over. Well guess a white one. But have 11 pole upgraded Stator. Guessing you got the 8, that come with the engine? So could be completely different.
I've completely rewired my spider box. But not sure what all wires do what. I just make sure they are marked, so know where they go back.
Make sure, got good connection to your noid? About all I got. starter button would be easiest to fix. good luck.
 #10927  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:37 pm
Your problem is most likely an old solenoid that only had 1 click left in it after sitting.

The other likely possibility is the starter switch as Tk pointed out. Both can be bypassed to see which is the problem.

Expect old parts on the kart to show their age in the weeks after a new engine install.
If the vehicle has been sitting a while before the new engine was installed, there is almost always a second wave of parts that need to be replaced soon after.

The black and yellow wires are an extra feature in our harness, allowing you to use a tail light. You can leave them disconnected.

A few notes for anyone reading in the future with a similar situation:

1. The CDI and Coil are completely separate from the starting system.

2. If you get nothing but silence, there are only a few possibilities:
- Dead battery
- Dead starter switch or interlock switch
- Dead solenoid
- Faulty connection / Wiring problem in between these items
 #10933  by PGH
 Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:38 am
Check power on both ends of your master fuse. Sometimes the fuse will fail inside one of the end caps and a visual inspection will look like it is okay.
 #11002  by Jim508
 Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:00 pm
Thanks! Checked the fuse and it was good. I am not getting any power up to the switch. I have power from the battery to ground, solenoid to ground, red wire into rectifier. The coil checks out okay. On what color wire does the power head up to the switch? Grey? Where can I chase that wire back to? Thanks. Sorry for the basic question.
 #11008  by Travis @ Buggy Depot
 Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:40 am
Starter button circuit path:

1. Battery
2. Fuse
3. Solenoid
4. Brake Interlock Switch
5. Push button switch
6. Ground

The button connects the ground side of the solenoid. It doesn't provide power to the solenoid, rather it simply connects it to ground. The solenoid always has 12vDC on one leg. This is not true for all GY6 buggies, but is true for the Yerf Dog GX150.